Objectives of STSM
Short Term Scientific Missions (STSMs) are exchange visits aimed at supporting individual mobility, strengthening existing networks, fostering collaboration between COST Action Participants. A STSM should specifically contribute to the scientific objectives of the COST Action, whilst at the same time allowing those partaking in the missions to learn new techniques, gain access to specific data, instruments and/ or methods not available in their own institutes.
Call launched: 16 September 2019
Application deadline: 8 October 2019
Decision by the evaluation committee: 15 October 2019
The timeframe for realisation of STSM: between 1 November 2019 and 31 March 2020. The minimum period is five days and the maximum (for this call) is five months.
This call is open to all participants, but priority will be given to Early Career Researchers (ECIs, less than 8 years of experience from obtaining PhD). A balance between Working Groups, gender and geographical range will also be considered.
Experimental work plan in the STSM application of candidates should be developed within the scope of one of the Action Working Groups:
- WG1 – Technical platforms
- WG2 – Impact assessment
- WG3 – Policies and regulations
- WG4 – Perceptions and opinions
- WG5 – Integration and communication
The STSM grant is used to cover costs of travel and subsistence. The financial support should be viewed as a contribution to the costs of the mission and may not cover all costs. The calculation of the financial contribution for each STSM must respect the following criteria:
- Up to a maximum of EUR 3000 in total can be afforded to each successful STSM applicant;
- Up to a maximum of EUR 160 per day can be afforded for accommodation and meal expenses.
How to apply
The applicant should complete:
- A fully completed COST STSM application form (use the online registration / submission tool: www.cost.eu/stsm
- A motivation letter
- Applicant CV
- A written agreement of the host institution
- A letter of support from the home institution
- A financial data (amount for travel and subsistence). Please use the information to calculate the subsistence amount depending on the host country.
Such documents send to the official site of the Action and spread to:
- The future Host of the STSM
- The Chair of the COST Action, Dr Dennis Eriksson firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Vice Chair, Dr Sebastian Carpentier email@example.com
- The Grant Holder of the COST Action
- The STSM coordinator, Dr Vladislava Galovic firstname.lastname@example.org
After the STSM
The grantee is required to submit a scientific report to the host institution, Action Chair, Vice Chair, Grant Holder and STSM Coordinator for approval within 30 days after the end date of the STSM. The report should contain:
- A scientific report
- An official letter/confirmation by the host institution of the successful execution of the STSM
The Action Chair and STSM Coordinator are responsible for approving the scientific report. The failure to submit the scientific report within 30 days will effectively cancel the grant. Once approved, payment of the STSM grant will be made by bank-to-bank transfer to the grantee.
For more information and enquiries please do not hesitate to contact the STSM Coordinator:
Dr Vladislava Galovic, PhD
University of Novi Sad
Institute of Lowland Forestry and Environment
Antona Cehova 13, 21000 Novi Sad – Serbia
Tel: +381 21 540 383 // Fax: +381 21 540 385
Mob: +381 69 203 89 11
Any further information may also be found in the following file: